Hello! If you’re here, it means you’ve taken that critical first step toward investing in yourself as a writer. Congratulations!
Writing can be a lonely vocation, and as a beginner, it can be difficult to walk that path alone. Sometimes writers need accountability to write regularly and revise a piece until it’s ready for publication. Other times, writers desperately want to complete a novel but don’t know where to start. The best way to advance in your writing practice is to work with a partner — preferably a seasoned professional who has built a career from her writing.
I have written and published 16 novels and make a full-time living from my fiction. Before I was a novelist, I worked as an editor and a ghostwriter. (My writing appeared in publications such as Forbes, Fast Company, and Business Insider.) I began coaching several years ago when I began receiving questions about my writing process and the method I use to bring a novel from idea to publication.
Getting to Know You
I always begin a coaching relationship with a brief written assessment followed by a consultation. The assessment is a two-page questionnaire designed to gauge where you are in your writing journey, the health of your creative life, and what style of coaching will work best for your personality. You should fill it out at home and bring it with you to our consultation.
For our initial consultation, we’ll meet to discuss who you are, what you write (or want to write), and where you are in your author journey. I’ll ask you details about your writing habits, your story ideas, and what you think you most need help with. We’ll go over your written assessment at this time and identify aspects of your creative life that may need attention.
The purpose of this consultation is twofold: It allows me to get to know you and understand how I can be of service, and it gives you a chance to understand my process, as well as the tools and structured guidance you can expect from our work together. There is no hard time limit for these consultations, but you can expect to spend around 45 minutes.
Pack of 4 Sessions with Personal Action Plan – $399
Students wishing to continue with coaching after the initial consultation must commit to a minimum of four coaching sessions (meeting once a week or every other week). This gives us a chance to meet for 30 to 60 days and establish a good writing workflow.
When you commit, you will receive:
- Your personal action plan encompassing the goals we discussed and the steps we’ll take to get you there.
- Four 60-minute one-on-one sessions to discuss your writing and each step in the novel-creation process. You can expect these meetings to be highly focused and goal-oriented. If needed, we can workshop specific characters, plot points, or other trouble spots in your current work in progress. The purpose of these sessions is to help you advance in your writing and resolve issues more quickly than you could on your own.
- Written recap and action items following each session. You can expect an email from me with notes on our discussion, goals for the following week(s), and specific action items (usually writing targets).
- Outline review with comments (during the planning phase only)
- Key character reviews with comments (during the planning phase only)
- Writing sample review with comments (up to 3,000 words per session)